Have you ever had anyone offer you a UV light installed inside your Air Conditioning System? Maybe after an air conditioner replacement or cleaning? Or even after a duct cleaning? It is said that this will prevent mold and mildew from getting into your home. But can a lighting system really help with these concerns? We know, an add-on certainly sounds like a gimmick, so here is the science to support the claim:
- Yes, it is scientifically proven. Fungal contamination in Air Conditioning units is a widespread issue that shouldn’t be ignored. This contamination often contributes to building-related diseases, like infectious diseases, allergic rhinitis, asthma and hypersensitivity pneumonitis, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information. But Ultraviolet lights can be used in a variety of applications, including air purification. The UV light can help eliminate many types of fungi, bacteria, germs, viruses and pathogens.
- Your home is susceptible to fungus. In 1996, an NCBI study installed UV lights on certain floors (and not on others) of an office building for four months to measure and compare the fungal levels of each floor; UV lights reduced fungal contamination within air-handling units, reduced levels of fungal contamination in the fiberglass insulation and reduced levels of airborne fungi in the floor space.
In 2012, researchers at Duke University Medical Center used ultraviolet radiation to nearly eliminate drug-resistant bacteria in 50 hospital rooms, reducing the number of bacteria by more than 97 percent. Many factors play a part in the effectiveness of a UV light in your home’s HVAC system, so it needs to be done methodically.
It’s important to hire a trusted AC technician. These factors can contribute to the effectiveness, according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association:
- Intensity and number of UV lamps.
- Placement and direction of UV lamps.
- Surrounding temperature and humidity levels of home.
- Reflectivity of surrounding surfaces.
With the right conditions and proper installation, UV lights are very effective at killing viruses, mold, fungi and bacteria, keeping them out of your home. Who knew adding an a UV Light benefits the home so much.